An explosion of flavor in your mouth!
This is one of my favorite appetizers to serve especially before an Asian dinner. There are many variations and differing recipes for Miang Khum, but this is how I do it. You will find that it is uniquely different and quite addicting.
I also like serving this because it's a chance to show off this gorgeous Japanese lacquerware box my mom gave me. You don't have to have one of these though; at a Thai restaurant we used to frequent, they just handed you a large plate with all the little piles on it for you to have at it.
--Spinach: One large bunch
--Peanuts: 1/2 cup
--Ginger: small piece
--Dried salty shrimp: less than a bag
--Toasted coconut: a handful
--Sweet chili sauce
1. Spinach: It's best to buy spinach in a bunch, not in one of the salad packs, because you will need large leaves. Carefully wash and pat dry each leaf. (This is pretty much the most time-consuming part of this recipe.)
2. Peanuts: I usually get unsalted dry-roasted peanuts and serve them as is. You could use salted if you wish.
3. Chilies: I usually use jalapeños chopped into bits. Traditionally, I think Thai red chilies are used.
4. Shallots: Cut into bits. I have used red onion also.
5. Ginger: Peel and cut into little bits
6. Lime: You'll need little bits which include the rind.
7. Dried salty shrimp: Buy this at the Asian market. I often toast it in the oven or in a pan to make sure it's crispy.
8. Toasted coconut: I usually use big chunks of unsweetened coconut but I'll confess I have used the sugary flaked coconut you get in the baking section of the grocery store. It tastes fine. Whatever you use, toast it in the oven or in a pan on the stove beforehand.
9. Sweet chili sauce: Traditionally, a plum sauce is to be used and I've made this before. It's great. However, since I'm usually in a hurry, I use Sweet Chili Sauce and it tastes divine with the different flavors.
That's basically it! Just put it in little bowls or arrange it on a plate however you like.
HOW TO EAT IT:
Take a spinach leaf in your hand, put a dab of each item in the middle, then add some chili sauce. Roll it up and pop it in your mouth all at once to enjoy!